Mauritius

Welcome to the new blog of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Mauritius! The Transfiguration of Christ Church - under the jurisdiction of the Eastern Orthodox Bishop of Madagascar-is located behind Garage Bala, Grand Riviere North-West. For more information about our church, please contact Mr Alexander Szava at: araratalex@fastmail.fm or write a comment, leaving your email address if you would like to be contacted.



Sunday, April 17, 2011

St John Chrysostom: A Word on Holy Monday

I am your friend, your head, your brother, sister, mother, everything and I wish nothing more for you than  to be My friend too. I was poor for you, I was a beggar for you, I was crucified for you, I was put in the tomb for you, in Heaven I pray to My Father for you and I came on Earth as an intercessor for you in front of the Father. You are everything for Me, brother, friend. What do you want more than this?

Why do you run away from The One who loves you so much? Why do you work only for this world? Why do you pour water in a bottomless vessel? As this is what he is doing the one working for this world. Why do you want to grasp the fire and to cast away the wind? Why do you run idle?

Everything has an end; show me the end of your love for this world. But you cannot do this. Everything is so vain. Let us go to the tombs; show me your father, show me your dead wife. Where is the one wearing golden garments, the one travelling in golden carriage, the one with life and death power over people? I see nothing more here than bones and worms. All these are dust and dream and shadow, an empty face, not even a face. But this is not everything. The worldly honours, the good life and richness are, of course, only shadows now, but everything linked to them: the avarice, the debauchery - these are not shadows, these are written in Heaven, be it words or deeds. How will we be able to look Christ in the eyes  on Judgment Day?